This month, we’ve been talking a lot about the do’s and don’ts associated with making bathroom spaces brighter. And while there are some more major things you can do to open up a dark, small bathroom, you don’t have to spend a lot of money to breathe fresh life into your bathroom and invigorate it with a more airy and spacious feeling.
In fact, if you are working with a small budget, here are some of the most cost-effective ways to enlighten a cramped, dull or lifeless bathroom:
- Add some small plants – Spots of green peppered throughout your bathroom can be an affordable way to brighten up any bathroom space.
- Pro tip: If you have limited counter space in your small bathroom, place the plants on the back of the toilet or consider hanging them on the wall. Also, consider getting small succulents, cacti or other low-maintenance plants that will stay green/bright with minimal care.
- Add more mirrors and/or reflective surfaces – Even just two or three well placed mirrors or reflective surfaces can make a smaller bathroom seem more dynamic and open.
- Pro tip: Try to place mirrors and reflective surfaces where they will catch and reflect the most light (including the natural light from windows). This can go a long way to brightening and opening up the bathroom space.
- Change the lighting and bulbs – Changing out lighting features – like sconce covers and bulbs (rather than replacing the entire fixture) – is another cost-effective way to alter the look and feel of a cramped bathroom space.
- Pro tip: Consider using lights/bulbs with dimming features so you can change up the lighting scheme in your bathroom at any point.
- Thoroughly clean the bathroom – Cleaning the dark nooks and corners in your bathroom, as well as the larger features like the tub and mirrors, can really make the room sparkle.
- Pro tip: Consider hiring professionals every month (or every other month) to give your bathroom and its windows a thorough cleaning. That can make it much easier to maintain a clean bathroom, as you may only need to do minimal cleaning to keep the bathroom looking sharp, shiny and bright.
Not Enough to Brighten Your Bathroom? Consider Refinishing the Tile & Tub for Some Extra Shine
When small changes aren’t having a big enough impact on a dull, outdated or stale bathroom space, it may be time to take the bathroom updates to the next level by refinishing the bathroom tile and/or bathtub.
Refinishing costs a fraction of the price associated with replacing tile and tubs, and it can be done within a few days (if not sooner). What may be even more appealing than those benefits, however, is the fact that you can extend the life of your tile and tub for well over a decade by refinishing them.
To find out how much it would cost to refinish the tile and/or tubs in your home, contact us for a free quote by calling (303) 908-8764 or by clicking here. You can also email us using the contact form located here.
Enlarging a small bathroom space doesn’t mean that you have to knock down walls or change your home’s floor plan. In fact, with the right combination of design elements, you can make a smaller bathroom seem much more spacious that it actually is, creating an open, airy, welcoming feel for cozier bathrooms.
Here are some of our top tips for making the most out of the smaller bathrooms in your home:
- Opt for lighter paint or wallpaper – This doesn’t mean that you can’t go with a color. It simply means that the colors should be lighter shades that will make the room seem more open.
- Pro tip – Don’t forget about the ceiling and floors. A light bright ceiling and floor can enhance light walls and make the room seem even more spacious.
- Rely on multifunctional pieces – In smaller bathrooms, one of the best ways a piece can be multifunctional is to provide storage space in addition to the main feature or function.
- Pro tip – Consider what items you don’t really need to have stored in the bathroom and get them out. With minimal space in small bathrooms, it can be helpful to store bulkier items that may not be essential to keep in the bathroom (e.g., clean linens) in an area outside of the bathroom.
- Position scones and/or shelving higher up – Setting lighting, shelves and even pictures up higher in a small bathroom space will naturally draw the eye upward. This, coupled with lighter colors throughout the space, can further enhance the open and airy feel you are trying to create in a small bathroom space.
- Pro tip – Don’t be afraid to edit your own design and try out a few different schemes to figure out what you like best.
- Use light-colored bathroom accessories – Use lighter colored towels, shower curtains, floor mats/rugs, etc. in your bathroom, and place these accessories in strategic locations that won’t interrupt the flow or spacious feel of your bathroom.
- Pro tip – Consider getting an area rug with a simple pattern or bright colors to create the illusion of more floor space. A striped rug can easily do this if placed in the right region of a smaller bathroom space.
- Take the dressing off of the window – In smaller bathrooms, curtains or blinds over the window can really close off the space. So undress the bathroom room, and let the natural light in.
- Pro tip – Get your windows cleaned professionally on a regular basis to really maximize the natural light and enhance the bright, open feel of your bathroom.
Want to Take It to the Next Level? Try Refinishing the Tile & Tub
Refinishing the tile and bathtub in a small bathroom can be a game changer when you really want to open up and brighten a small space. What’ more is that refinishing tile and tubs is far cheaper than replacing them – and it can extend the life of these features for well over a decade.
To get a free quote for refinishing the tile and/or tubs in your home, call the Denver bathtub refinishing pros at Colorado Tub Repair today at (303) 908-8764. You can also click here or email us via this contact form.
When designing and/or decorating a small bathroom space, how that space is set up and decorated can make a big difference in the overall feel and look of the finished room.
Shedding some light on the best ways to construct and decorate small bathrooms, below we have pointed out some mistakes to avoid when designing – or redesigning – a cozier bathroom space.
With Small Bathrooms, Avoid…
- Covering the walls and/or ceiling with dark paint and/or wallpaper – Although dark colors can be dramatic and may go with the other rooms of your home, they can also make a small bathroom feel more enclosed and cavernous. So, opt for lighter, brighter colors with paint and/or wallpaper for your small bathroom.
- Covering or blocking the window(s) – The bright, natural light from a window is another element that can open up a small bathroom space. So, avoid putting up a window dressing (that can seem to shrink the window and reduce the light coming through), and avoid storing things on the windowsill (which can have the same effect as an overbearing window dressing like curtains or blinds).
- Forgetting about the storage needs and space – Storing your bathroom products, linens, etc. on countertops or shelving that takes up the bathroom’s floor space can make a small bathroom seem even more constricted. Instead, figure out a place to store these essential items where they will remain out of sight, off of countertops and/or off of the floor space. Vanities, medicine cabinets and appropriately placed shelving can be especially helpful to this end.
- Using Broadway-style lighting – The bright lights around a mirror (like theater dressing room lights) can be harsh, unflattering and unforgiving to a small bathroom space. Instead of this type of lighting scheme, try one is softer and will highlight the better features of the small bathroom. This can be achieved with a combination of overhead and side lighting.
Want to Open Your Small Bathroom Up Even More?
In small bathroom spaces, aging tile and tubs can be one of the biggest eye sores, making even the cleanest and well-designed small bathrooms seeming cluttered and unpleasant.
If this is the situation in one of your bathrooms and you are considering replacing the tile and/or bathtub, a better option can be to refinish the tile and/or tub, saving you time and money that can used on other areas of your bathroom update project.
Get a Free Denver Bathtub Refinishing Quote Today: Contact Us
When you are ready to refinish a bathtub and update its look, the first choices you make in process – whether to do it yourself and, if not, who you’ll hire to oversee the project – can be crucial to the outcome of the project.
That’s because if you decide to do the refinishing project on your own (and you don’t have experience refinishing tubs) or if you hire an inexperienced professional, it’s far more likely that mistakes will be made and that the bathtub refinishing project will end up:
- Costing more and taking longer to finish
- Leaving you with less than glowing or stellar results.
To help you make your upcoming bathtub refinishing project a success, below we have identified some of the most common and costly pitfalls that can upset a bathtub refinish:
- Cutting corners on the preparation process – The proper preparation is an essential foundation for a good bathtub refinishing job. To properly prepare a tub to be refinished, it needs to be thoroughly cleaned (including the faucet and associated fixtures); then sanded down (to remove the fine dirt particles); and then cleaned again (to remove any residual sanded down debris). Additionally, the old caulking needs to be removed, and plastic sheeting should be carefully set up around the tub (to protect the surround/other features in the bathroom).
- Using the wrong products for the refinishing process – Here, we are referring to both the products applied to the tub (e.g., the cleansers, primers, enamels, etc.) and the items used to apply those products to the tub (e.g., the rollers, brushes, etc.). The biggest mistake in using low-quality products is that they will never produce results that look as good as moderate- to high-quality products, and that can mean that you set yourself up for poor results (regardless of the other care or effort you put into the project) when this mistake is made.
- Not letting the tub completely dry between refinishing stages – This mistake usually arises from haste to get the job done and/or a lack of understanding about the importance of the drying phase. When the bathtub is not allowed to fully dry between refinishing stages, there’s a far greater chance that the primer and/or enamel coats will not properly adhere to the tub’s surface. While this can make for an unsightly result, it can also prevent the final stages from being completed (if enough moisture remains on the tub’s surface).
Avoid these Bathtub Refinishing Mistakes: Contact Us for Experienced Denver Bathtub Refinishing Services
Let our trusted professionals refinish the bathtubs, tile and/or countertops in your home in less time (and for less money) than you think. Contact us for a free quote today by calling (303) 908-8764 or by clicking here. You can also email us using the contact form located here.
Are you sick of looking at your dated bathroom? Do you want to wow your future houseguests with a new, attractive and more comfortable bathroom?
If you are nodding your head in agreement to these questions, here are some relatively easy and cost-effective bathroom updates you can make – without knocking down any walls or putting your bathroom out of commission for days or weeks at a time:
- Replace the smaller fixtures – The smaller fixtures in bathrooms, especially those that your family/guests are regularly touching, can become unsightly, discolored and damaged sooner than some of the other features in your bathroom. The good news is that replacing these fixtures (e.g., light switches, outlet covers, toilet paper holder, faucet spouts/handles, small shelves) can be pretty easy and inexpensive.
- Update your toiletry holders/dispensers – Specifically, these items can include things like the soap dispensers, toothbrush holders, etc. that sit around your sink (or in other areas of your bathroom).
- Change the lighting scheme – While this may be as simple as adding a new light or changing out some of the bathroom lightbulbs, it can also involve replacing the main (or secondary) lighting system(s) with something different.
- Get rid of the clutter – Given that updating your bathroom is likely driven by a desire to refresh its look, taking a critical look at the items that you do NOT need to store in your bathroom is another easy way to refresh its look. For example, if you are storing items like bath towels, extra toilet paper or other toiletries in your bathroom (and if there is limited space in your bathroom), consider finding a location outside (but near) your bathroom where these items can be stored. Opening up space – and leaving some open space – in your bathroom is a free and effective way to update its look while creating a new, spacious and welcoming feel.
A Word about Your Bathtub, Tile & Countertops
While the above bathroom upgrades can revive an outdated or dull-looking bathroom, they may only have minimal effect if your bathtub, the surrounding tile and/or bathroom countertops are chipping, cracked, stained or otherwise damaged.
In these situations, one of the most cost-effective upgrades you can invest in is refinishing these major fixtures (instead of replacing them).
Contact Us for Affordable, Experienced Denver Bathtub Refinishing Services
Let us refinish the bathtubs, tile and/or countertops in your home at highly competitive rates. Contact us for a free quote today by calling (303) 908-8764 or by clicking here. You can also email us using the contact form located here.
Yes – although the process can involve some different steps and/or products than are associated with refinishing jobs for acrylic, porcelain or fiberglass bathtubs, cast iron bathtubs can still be refinished to appear like new again. And refinishing cast iron (or any) bathtubs can save you a lot of money when compared to replacing the tub with a brand new one.
Overview of the Refinishing Process for Cast Iron Tubs
In general, the process of refinishing a cast iron tub will involve the following steps:
- The old caulk is removed from around the bathtub.
- A commercial cleanser is applied to the tub to remove any surface dirt, soap scum and/or grime.
- Once the tub is clean, the old enamel is removed.
- Then, the cast iron surface of the tub is rinsed and primed.
- Next, a new topcoat will be applied to the tub’s surface.
- The topcoat will be allowed to dry, after which the refinishing process will usually be done.
For more details about the specific steps and/or products that Colorado Tub Repair uses when refinishing cast iron (or other) bathtubs, contact us today. We’re happy to answer all of your questions about our methods, products and services.
Is it Time to Refinish My Cast Iron Tub?
This is a good question, and one that we get asked a lot. Generally, some of the more common signs that it’s time to refinish cast iron tubs include the following:
- The enamel surface covering the cast iron is starting to chip in certain places – Chipping can be a gateway for rusting, so fixing these eyesores ASAP is important on both a functional and visual level.
- Rust is developing in certain spots – Once you notice any rust on your cast iron tub, getting it refinished sooner rather than later is crucial to preventing further damage.
Contact Us for Affordable, Experienced Denver Bathtub Refinishing Services
Let us refinish the bathtubs, tile and/or countertops in your home. Contact us for a free quote today by calling (303) 908-8764 or by clicking here. You can also email us using the contact form located here.
When you are ready to refinish the tubs and/or tile in your homes, the professionals you choose to hire can make all of the difference in the cost and outcome of the project. In fact, if you end up choosing the wrong refinishing company, you could end up spending a lot more money on a poor-quality job – and you may even need to hire other professionals to fix the damage done by the wrong refinishers.
To help you avoid this costly mistake, below are some tips for picking the right tile and bathtub refinishing company when you are ready to update the look and life of your tub, tile, countertops, etc. To pick the best refinisher for the job, look for refinishing professionals with:
- Experience – Start your search by looking for pros who have years of experience doing the refinishing projects you are planning. Fly-by-night refinishers can use cheap products, as well as unconventional (and possibly damaging) methods – and that can end up meaning a low-quality refinish. It may even mean that you need to refinish or replace your tub earlier than you would have had to if you had hired experienced professionals for the job.
- Positive customer reviews – Experience with refinishing is just one aspect to look for in refinishing companies. Another is the quality of the customer service and experience they provide, and that can usually be discovered by checking out reviews from former clients. As you search through reviews, try to take your search beyond just a company’s website (where likely only the positive reviews will be featured).
- Proof of their good work – In other words, look for before and after pictures that display the final products and final work done by a given company. If a company doesn’t have these available on its website, ask for some. Reputable, established, experienced refinishers should have these readily available for prospective clients.
- Transparency – Here, we are referring to transparency not only in the processes and products a company uses but also in the prices it charges and the project schedules. Framed in another way, it’s usually smart to avoid companies that cannot provide clear answers about the nature of the work they will do, the types of products they will be using to complete that work and the way they will be charging you for the work completed.
Looking for the Best Refinishers in Colorado? Contact Colorado Tub Repair
When you want your tile, countertop or tub refinishing project to go as smoothly as possible – and to be completed quickly and cost effectively, contact the professionals at Colorado Tub Repair by calling (303) 908-8764 or by sending us an email by clicking here.
When you contact us, we will provide you with a free quote, as well as honest answers about our services and processes.
Remodeling projects can update the appearance of homes while possibly increasing their value. When time and money are limiting factors in getting the remodel project done, however, starting out with the right plan can be the key to completing the remodel on time and your budget.
For those who are preparing to remodel one or more of their bathrooms, here are some essential tips that can save you time and money as you work on getting the project done:
- Have a clear deadline – Figure out the date on which your remodel has to be finished. Do you have a baby on the way or guests arriving at some point? Or does is the bathroom remodel part of a larger home remodel project? Whatever your deadline ends up being will be important to determining how much work can realistically be completed within that time frame – and whether you may be able to do more (or less) of it yourself.
- Pro tip – Set your deadline a little bit earlier than your projected date of completion to give yourself some wiggle room in case something unexpected arises. For instance, if you want your remodel done in 8 weeks, set your deadline for 7 weeks to give yourself an extra week to spill into if necessary.
- Create a plan for exactly what the remodel will entail – How extensive do you want your remodel to be? Will you be changing the layout of the bathroom? Or just be updating the major features? Writing out a detailed list of all of the elements of your remodel plans is important to understanding the scope of your project and creating an action plan for tackling them.
- Pro Tip – Walk through your bathroom when doing this, as it can help you identify all of the aspects you want to include in your project.
- Set your budget – Knowing your deadline and the details of the remodel plan, you can now calculate a realistic budget for the remodel.
- Pro Tip – Like the schedule, add some wiggle room into the budget so you are prepared in case any unexpected costs arise.
- Figure out what you can do yourself versus what you may need to hire professionals to do – Depending on the scope of your remodel plans, you may need to hire professionals to take care of some updates, like refinishing your bathtub or repairing your bathroom tile. Taking the time to identify which aspects of your remodel need to be done by pros before you get started can help you avoid costly pitfalls – such as attempting to take on a complicated update yourself and possibly causing more damage in the process.
- Pro Tip – Once you know what you need pros for, shop around for the best quotes. Going to trade shows (like Home & Garden shows) can be an easy way to get at least a few quotes quickly.
- Don’t forget about the little things – With remodel projects, it can be easy to focus on the big aspects of the project, such as an unsightly bathtub or drab wall covers. Don’t forget, though, that the little things – like lighting fixtures and outlet covers – can really make a difference as well, so be sure to include them in your update plans.
- Pro Tip – Update the little features last, after more major updates – like tub, tile and wall repairs/updates – have been finished. In other words, make the little updates your finishing touches.
We Can Save You Money on Your Bathroom Remodel – Contact Colorado Tub Repair Today
Let us help you with your bathroom and/or kitchen remodeling plans. In addition to providing bathtub refinishing services, we also offer tile refinishing and repair, countertop refinishing, and much more at highly competitive prices.
Adding a grab bar to your bathtub and/or shower can make it easier – and safer – to get into and out of the tub and to balance while bathing. While you can have a professional install one of these bars for you, it’s also possible to install them yourself.
Here’s a simple guide to help those DIYers:
- Choose the spot for the grab bar. This should, ideally, be at least 30 inches above the floor and on an adjoining wall that is hollow (and not tiled).
- Pro tip: Take note of the length of the grab bar as you are selecting a spot. This can facilitate the measuring process (and it may limit your choice in locations, depending on your current setup/décor).
- Use a pencil to mark out the location, and use a level to ensure the marks are placed appropriately.
- Drill the pilot holes. Then drill the bore holes, where the hollow wall fasteners will fit.
- Pro tip: For the pilot holes, use a 3/16-in. carbide-tip bit. For the bore holes, use a 1 ¼ in. carbide-tip hole saw.
- Remove the paper from the adhesive on the wall fasteners, and press the fasteners into the holes.
- Turn the screw to the left to release the grab fingers, then tighten the screws into the fasteners.
- Mount the grab bar on top of the fasteners.
- Screw in the mounting screws, and cover them with the concealing parts (i.e., escutcheons).
Want to Make Your Tub Even Safer?
If so, consider adding a walk-in conversion that will prevent the need to have to step over the side of the tub. This can be a wonderful feature for:
- The elderly
- Anyone with balance and/or mobility impairments.
Contact Colorado Tub Repair Today for a Free Quote
Are you ready to enhance the safety of your bathroom via a walk-in conversion? Or do you want to refresh the look & life of your tub by refinishing it? If so, contact us for a free quote by calling (303) 908-8764 or by clicking here. You can also email us using the contact form located here.
Spring is a great time to get rid of the old and welcome the new. If you have owned your bathtubs for more than 10 years or so – and they are starting to look damaged, worn and dirty, refinishing your tubs, rather than replacing them, can be a cost-effective way to get rid of the old look and spruce up your bathrooms for spring while making your dollars go as far as possible.
In fact, if you have (or are expecting) a tax refund and you are focused on investing that money effectively to improve your home, here are some of the top reasons to consider using those funds to refinish your bathtub:
- Refinishing your tub is a cost-effective way to update the look of your bathroom – In fact, while a bathtub refinishing can make the surface of a tub look like new again, it can also involve updating the color of the tub (and the surrounding tile). This can give a bathroom an entire new look and feel, effectively providing the benefits of a remodel for a fraction of the cost.
- Refinishing tubs is far cheaper than replacing them – And that can end up meaning that more of your refund (or renovation budget) can go towards other things, like replacing the sink/vanity, getting new lights and/or switches, purchasing new linens, etc.
- Refinishing a tub can extend its life for years – Actually, refinishing your tub can add at least 10 years to its life, making this a great long-term investment.
- Refinishing your tub and updating your bathroom can increase the value of your home – And if you are thinking about putting your home on the market soon, this may be the most important reason to refinish your tub, rather than replace it.
Contact Colorado Tub Repair Today for a Free Bathtub Refinishing Quote
To find out how much it will cost to refinish the bathtub(s) in your home, contact the professionals at Colorado Tub Repair today to receive a free quote. You can call us at (303) 908-8764 or simply click here. You can also email us via this contact form.