Enlarging a small bathroom space doesn’t mean that you have to knock down walls or change your home’s floor plan. In fact, with the right combination of design elements, you can make a smaller bathroom seem much more spacious that it actually is, creating an open, airy, welcoming feel for cozier bathrooms.
Here are some of our top tips for making the most out of the smaller bathrooms in your home:
- Opt for lighter paint or wallpaper – This doesn’t mean that you can’t go with a color. It simply means that the colors should be lighter shades that will make the room seem more open.
- Pro tip – Don’t forget about the ceiling and floors. A light bright ceiling and floor can enhance light walls and make the room seem even more spacious.
- Rely on multifunctional pieces – In smaller bathrooms, one of the best ways a piece can be multifunctional is to provide storage space in addition to the main feature or function.
- Pro tip – Consider what items you don’t really need to have stored in the bathroom and get them out. With minimal space in small bathrooms, it can be helpful to store bulkier items that may not be essential to keep in the bathroom (e.g., clean linens) in an area outside of the bathroom.
- Position scones and/or shelving higher up – Setting lighting, shelves and even pictures up higher in a small bathroom space will naturally draw the eye upward. This, coupled with lighter colors throughout the space, can further enhance the open and airy feel you are trying to create in a small bathroom space.
- Pro tip – Don’t be afraid to edit your own design and try out a few different schemes to figure out what you like best.
- Use light-colored bathroom accessories – Use lighter colored towels, shower curtains, floor mats/rugs, etc. in your bathroom, and place these accessories in strategic locations that won’t interrupt the flow or spacious feel of your bathroom.
- Pro tip – Consider getting an area rug with a simple pattern or bright colors to create the illusion of more floor space. A striped rug can easily do this if placed in the right region of a smaller bathroom space.
- Take the dressing off of the window – In smaller bathrooms, curtains or blinds over the window can really close off the space. So undress the bathroom room, and let the natural light in.
- Pro tip – Get your windows cleaned professionally on a regular basis to really maximize the natural light and enhance the bright, open feel of your bathroom.
Want to Take It to the Next Level? Try Refinishing the Tile & Tub
Refinishing the tile and bathtub in a small bathroom can be a game changer when you really want to open up and brighten a small space. What’ more is that refinishing tile and tubs is far cheaper than replacing them – and it can extend the life of these features for well over a decade.
To get a free quote for refinishing the tile and/or tubs in your home, call the Denver bathtub refinishing pros at Colorado Tub Repair today at (303) 908-8764. You can also click here or email us via this contact form.