Remodeling projects can update the appearance of homes while possibly increasing their value. When time and money are limiting factors in getting the remodel project done, however, starting out with the right plan can be the key to completing the remodel on time and your budget.
For those who are preparing to remodel one or more of their bathrooms, here are some essential tips that can save you time and money as you work on getting the project done:
- Have a clear deadline – Figure out the date on which your remodel has to be finished. Do you have a baby on the way or guests arriving at some point? Or does is the bathroom remodel part of a larger home remodel project? Whatever your deadline ends up being will be important to determining how much work can realistically be completed within that time frame – and whether you may be able to do more (or less) of it yourself.
- Pro tip – Set your deadline a little bit earlier than your projected date of completion to give yourself some wiggle room in case something unexpected arises. For instance, if you want your remodel done in 8 weeks, set your deadline for 7 weeks to give yourself an extra week to spill into if necessary.
- Create a plan for exactly what the remodel will entail – How extensive do you want your remodel to be? Will you be changing the layout of the bathroom? Or just be updating the major features? Writing out a detailed list of all of the elements of your remodel plans is important to understanding the scope of your project and creating an action plan for tackling them.
- Pro Tip – Walk through your bathroom when doing this, as it can help you identify all of the aspects you want to include in your project.
- Set your budget – Knowing your deadline and the details of the remodel plan, you can now calculate a realistic budget for the remodel.
- Pro Tip – Like the schedule, add some wiggle room into the budget so you are prepared in case any unexpected costs arise.
- Figure out what you can do yourself versus what you may need to hire professionals to do – Depending on the scope of your remodel plans, you may need to hire professionals to take care of some updates, like refinishing your bathtub or repairing your bathroom tile. Taking the time to identify which aspects of your remodel need to be done by pros before you get started can help you avoid costly pitfalls – such as attempting to take on a complicated update yourself and possibly causing more damage in the process.
- Pro Tip – Once you know what you need pros for, shop around for the best quotes. Going to trade shows (like Home & Garden shows) can be an easy way to get at least a few quotes quickly.
- Don’t forget about the little things – With remodel projects, it can be easy to focus on the big aspects of the project, such as an unsightly bathtub or drab wall covers. Don’t forget, though, that the little things – like lighting fixtures and outlet covers – can really make a difference as well, so be sure to include them in your update plans.
- Pro Tip – Update the little features last, after more major updates – like tub, tile and wall repairs/updates – have been finished. In other words, make the little updates your finishing touches.
We Can Save You Money on Your Bathroom Remodel – Contact Colorado Tub Repair Today
Let us help you with your bathroom and/or kitchen remodeling plans. In addition to providing bathtub refinishing services, we also offer tile refinishing and repair, countertop refinishing, and much more at highly competitive prices.