Tub & Tile Restoration versus Replacement
When you are ready to invest in updating a bathroom, two of the various decisions you may have to make can involve whether you want to restore or replace the aging bathtub and tile. While both restoration and replacement can have the same outcomes – making your bathroom look fresh and new again, the costs and processes associated with these different options can vary dramatically.
And understanding these differences can help you extend your renovation dollars so that you can make as many home improvements with your budget as possible.
Benefits of Tile & Tub Restoration (over Replacement)
- Lower costs – Restoration is usually only a fraction of the cost of replacement for both tile and tubs. This is because, in general, with restoration, there will be less demo work, there won’t be as many new (and expensive) materials to purchase, and getting the job done can require less labor overall.
- Faster turnaround times – Restoring tile and tubs typically takes far less time than replacing them. In fact, when it comes to refinishing and restoring tubs, the entire process (including the work and the time needed to allow the work to set) tends to take less than 30 hours (for tile, the amount of time can vary according to the area of the tile being restored). This means that, within days, you can get back to using your bathroom, whereas you may be out of your bathroom for weeks or longer with tile and tub replacement work.
- Lasting results – While restoring tubs and tile is generally cheaper and faster than replacing them, restoration also comes with the benefit of enduring results, with restored tubs and tile lasting up to 15 or 20 years, if not longer, with the proper maintenance. This can really maximize the return on your renovation investments.
Need a Quote? Contact Colorado Tub Repair Today for a Free Tile & Bathtub Restoration Estimate
Let us restore the tile and/or bathtubs in your home. Contact us for a free quote by calling (303) 908-8764 or by clicking here. You can also email us using the contact form located here.
4 Reasons to Refinish Your Bathroom & Kitchen Tile
When remodeling your bathroom and kitchen, one of the important decisions you may have to make is whether to replace or refinish the existing tile. There can, of course, be benefits to both options, but if you don’t know much about tile refinishing, consider the following benefits it can provide.
Benefits of Tile Refinishing
1 – Tile refinishing is easier than replacing tire.
Refinishing doesn’t require that old tile be removed and that new tile be painstakingly laid down. Instead, the existing tile can remain in place, cutting out some of the more complicated/time-consuming steps of tile replacement.
This, in turn, can mean that, while tile replacement can take weeks (or longer), tile refinishing can be done within a matter of days (depending on how much tile in your home needs to be refinished).
2 – It’s cheaper too.
In fact, tile refinishing can save people as much as 70 percent of the cost of tile replacement. This means that you can save a lot more on your remodeling costs, possibly letting you do more things – like buy new fixtures or other hardware/appliances that you may not have otherwise been able to afford.
3 – Tile refinishing is a durable way to update the look of your bathroom and kitchen.
While tile refinishing can give any room a facelift – breathing some new life into a bathroom and/or kitchen, it can also last a long time (as long as, of course, the proper tile maintenance is performed). Specifically, refinished tile can extend the life of tile for as much as 10 to 15 years.
4 – It’s also eco-friendly.
If you opt to refinish your tile, rather than replace it, that’s less damaged tile that will be thrown into landfills. In other words, think of tile refinishing as an effective way to recycle and reuse (rather than replace and throw away).
Contact Colorado Tub Repair Today for a Free Estimate
Let us repair the tile in your home. Contact us for a free estimate by calling (303) 908-8764 or by clicking here. You can also email us using the contact form located here.
Choosing a Bathtub and Tile Refinisher: 6 Things to Look For
When you are ready to improve the appearance and durability of your home’s bathtubs, countertops and/or tile, choosing a bathtub and tile refinisher will be your focus – and your choice in this professional can make all of the difference in the results. In fact, if you end up making the mistake of choosing the wrong bathtub and tile refinisher, you could up doing more damage while spending a lot of money in the process.
To help you select the right bathtub and tile refinisher, in this blog series, we will point out some of the most important things to look for in the candidates you are considering. If, however, you don’t have time to do this research, you can be confident that you are working with the best Colorado bathtub and tile refinishers by contacting Colorado Tub Repair today.
Choosing a Bathtub and Tile Refinisher: Here’s What You Should Look For…
1 – Experience
As you start to screen various refinishers whom you may hire to help you with you with your home improvement project, one of the first things to look at is their experience. As you do this:
- Find out how long a professional and/or company has been in the refinishing industry.
- Be aware of how professional that company is. Does the company have professional marketing materials? An informative website?
- Talk to someone at the company to get a sense of how informed they are about the process.
Here, it’s also important to point out that checking out a professional’s/company’s experience when choosing a bathtub and tile refinisher can help you figure out which companies may be more “fly by night” (only around for a few months) so that you can avoid them. Not only will you not get any warranties with these companies, but you also will have no recourse if or when the poor quality of their work product becomes apparent.
2 – References/Reviews
The next step in choosing a bathtub and tile refinisher is to check out their references. While you can call a company and request some references (whom you can then call and talk to about the company), it’s usually easier to check out the testimonials for the company online. These references and reviews can provide some deeper insight to the quality of a company’s work, as well as the level of service they consistently provide.
3 – Portfolio/Examples of Past Work
Checking out a professional’s past work products in things like online galleries or even showrooms is another good idea when choosing a bathtub and tile refinisher. This is because it can give you some positive evidence of a company’s/professional’s work product and skills.
If a company or professional whom you are considering does not have any work samples to let you see, you should probably consider this a red flag, as it can indicate that the company or professional is inexperienced, unestablished and/or unreliable.
4 – Warranty
Does the professional or company offer a warranty?
- If so, ask about the terms of the warranty when choosing a bathtub and tile refinisher. Professionals who stand behind their work tend to offer longer warranties. However, beware of “lifetime” warranties, as these can be outright unrealistic when it comes to certain services/areas of your home.
- If not, this can be another red flag that you may not be dealing with an experienced, reputable or reliable company/professional.
Choosing a Bathtub and Tile Refinisher: Some Final Considerations
5 – Cost
Cost can be an important consideration, especially if you are on a budget and/or you have other home improvements to make. In these cases, it’s important to look for:
- Affordable rates – When choosing a bathtub and tile refinisher, good refinishers and refinishing companies tend to offer competitive rates. If you run into a refinisher on the higher end, take a closer look at what you are paying for; while you may be getting more for higher rates, you may also be dealing with companies that are not “dialed into” to the industry (and that, therefore, may not be the best choice).
- Quality of service – As with many things in life, with refinishing services, you get what you pay for. So, even if you are on a budget, you may want to steer clear of the bottom of the barrel estimates, as these may end up costing you WAY more in the long run (both in terms of having to pay to fix poorly done jobs and in your frustration and added stress).
6 – Processes/Products Used
Another key thing to look at when choosing a bathtub and tile refinisher is the types of processes and products they use. While these can vary depending on the specific type of service you need, you will generally want to select a refinisher who:
- Will not use general store paint or any epoxy on your home’s surfaces
- Has an accepted method for refinishing your tub/countertop/tile
- Can get the job done within a reasonable timeframe – For instance, an experienced refinisher who is using appropriate products and modern methods can finish a bathtub refinishing in 3 to 4 hours (after which the tub has to be left alone for 24 hours). If a refinisher is quoting a lot longer to do this job, beware, as this is professional is probably not experienced or reliable enough to do the job right.
Contact Colorado Tub Repair Today for a Free Estimate
For experienced, professional service repairing and/or refinishing the bathtubs, countertops and tile in your home, contact Colorado Tub Repair today by calling (303) 908-8764. You can also email us using the contact form located here. We provide free estimates, competitive rates and the highest quality services.
Ugly Tile? Alternative to replacement… Refinish!
Not very many know there is an alternative to ugly tile replacement. You have a bathtub tile surround that is in amazing shape. Installed in the 70’s or 80’s and still has the shiny new finish on it…..but it’s avocado green or canary yellow. YUCK! Do you really need to spend thousands to tear all that out and replace? Let alone work around the time required to complete that expensive project?
Get your ugly tile REFINISHED! Your tile is a perfect candidate for a refinish, just be sure your tile and grout are in good shape. What about fiberglass? Or cultured marble? Yep! Those too. You can change it to a classic white and match your sink or tub. Or even update the entire look of your bathroom with a classy multi-color finish. The refinish will make a drastic difference in your bathroom without the outrageous cost or time needed to complete it.
Before, a 1980’s mess of swirls…
After, a beautifully refinished bathtub!
Tile Replacement vs Tile Refinish
Tile Replacement vs Tile Refinish
What are the advantages of Tile Replacement vs. Tile Refinish? Both options have advantages, but which option would be best? Well, let’s look at your situation.
1. Why are you wanting to change the tile?
2. Is the condition of tile and grout in good shape?
3. Are there any loose tiles?
Tile Replacement can be necessary. For example: If the tile is loose and/or falling off the wall, there is a good chance that the tile is not supported to the correct backerboard. Many attempt use drywall as a substrate for the shower surround. DO NOT DO THIS. There is no moisture barrier between the tile and drywall/framing. When water reaches behind the tile, it will disentegrate the drywall and possibly even the framing. That’s a whole other mess. Remove one of the loose tiles gently and be sure there is a backer board behind it. If not, it’s best to remove the tile and start from scratch. But this time, do it correctly with some backer board and a waterproof membrane. Situations like this would require the tile to be replaced. It is a more expensive option, but doing it correctly will save you more money in the long run.
Getting the Tile Refinished is a benefit in many ways. You first need to look closely at your tile and grout lines. If the grout lines are hidden or very worn, you will need to get it re-grouted before you refinish it. Small cracks or chips in a few tiles can be easily fixed. Assuming that the tile and the grout are in good shape, the dynamic of the entire room will change with a tile refinish. When the finish is done properly, you can expect 15+ years out of it, before it will need to be refinished again. It is custom too. You can select classic white, an almond to match your sink and toilet or one of 25 multi-color finishes (wink, wink). The Tile Refinish can be completed in a day and will only require 24 hours to cure. Then your set.
The BEST PART is Tile refinishing will save you:
Time (1 day process)
Money (can be 1/3 of the cost of replacing)
Showering in your teenagers bathroom for a period of days (you don’t know what’s in there)
If your unsure about which option would be best? Call us out and we would be happy to take a look.
Denver Tile Refinishing
Your have a bathroom in Denver with tons of potential. The tile is in great shape. Grout looks good. Really draws your eye to the avocado green trim pieces that frame the Pepto pink 4″x4″ squares consistent throughout the bathtub tile surround….wait. What?
Yes. You have great condition, yet nasty colored tile. Instead of spending $1,500 – $3,000 demolishing that bathroom, refinish it! You can open up the room with a classic white tile refinishing or select from one of our popular 24 multicolors Stone-flex option.
Refinishing the tile with a multicolor will give you a modern look to the finish and update the home. Tile refinishing comes to a fraction of the cost to replacing the tile, let alone in the time and hassle to work with a contractor in Denver. Your tile can be refinished in 3 – 5 hours, with a 24 cure time. That’s it. It’s that simple.