Yes – although the process can involve some different steps and/or products than are associated with refinishing jobs for acrylic, porcelain or fiberglass bathtubs, cast iron bathtubs can still be refinished to appear like new again. And refinishing cast iron (or any) bathtubs can save you a lot of money when compared to replacing the tub with a brand new one.
Overview of the Refinishing Process for Cast Iron Tubs
In general, the process of refinishing a cast iron tub will involve the following steps:
- The old caulk is removed from around the bathtub.
- A commercial cleanser is applied to the tub to remove any surface dirt, soap scum and/or grime.
- Once the tub is clean, the old enamel is removed.
- Then, the cast iron surface of the tub is rinsed and primed.
- Next, a new topcoat will be applied to the tub’s surface.
- The topcoat will be allowed to dry, after which the refinishing process will usually be done.
For more details about the specific steps and/or products that Colorado Tub Repair uses when refinishing cast iron (or other) bathtubs, contact us today. We’re happy to answer all of your questions about our methods, products and services.
Is it Time to Refinish My Cast Iron Tub?
This is a good question, and one that we get asked a lot. Generally, some of the more common signs that it’s time to refinish cast iron tubs include the following:
- The enamel surface covering the cast iron is starting to chip in certain places – Chipping can be a gateway for rusting, so fixing these eyesores ASAP is important on both a functional and visual level.
- Rust is developing in certain spots – Once you notice any rust on your cast iron tub, getting it refinished sooner rather than later is crucial to preventing further damage.
Contact Us for Affordable, Experienced Denver Bathtub Refinishing Services
Let us refinish the bathtubs, tile and/or countertops in your home. Contact us for a free quote today by calling (303) 908-8764 or by clicking here. You can also email us using the contact form located here.